May 18, 2010

STOCKHOLM MARATHON



Stockholm Marathon
- 42.195 meters - or 138.435 feet.

I've always wanted to run a Marathon and last week I was convinced to grab the bull by its horns, so to speak. Seems like I'll be hitting the streets of Stockholm on June 5th, together with 20.000 other runners, during my short visit to Sweden in a few weeks.


The course: Two almost-identical loops, starting outside the 1912 Olympic Stadium and finishing on the track inside. There are large, flat sections of the course but enough undulations, particularly on the loop around Djurgarden and the various bridges, to break your rhythm.
Highs: Finishing on the track inside the 1912 Olympic Stadium.
Lows: Passing the kilometre markers on the first lap, knowing you have to run 21km before you see them again.
Watch out for: The crossing of the Vesterbron at 35km. The bridge is only a 90ft climb, but it feels worse the second time around.



Yeah, I know, running a Marathon is not a casual, spontaneous run for the weekend warrior averageing running volumes of 3-4 miles per week (not speaking about myself here=)) and it's nothing one should do without proper preparation...ever...Anyway, I'm doing this knowing I might not be a top 3-contender, meaning I will do my best to enjoy the atmosphere and fun of the event (and the experince, of course!). I figure I can get a few long distance runs to prepare myself even though I have less than 3 weeks until I'll be standing on the starting line, June 5th, 2010. But hey, what better way to celebrate my 25th birthday than an "organized sightseeing tour of Stockholm on foot" (as a friend of mine nicely resembled the race)?

This will be interesting...stay posted!

/Haile

No comments:

Post a Comment