Mar 9, 2010

SODA CUTBACKS AND SUBSIDIZED FOOD IN USA




The article above was posted in today's copy of USA Today. I think it's great that it brings up the effect price has on consumers and food choices (see discussion on subsidized foods below). All respect to Professor Popkin at Duke University, but the way this article is written it makes nutrition seem like some kind of constant, unchangeable mathematical reality and that an 18% increase in price of soda would simply result in a 5 lbs annual weight loss - period...Considering that 1 lbs of fat contains about 3.500 kcal I'm guessing this 5 pound weight loss figure was determined by multiplying 5 (lbs) with 3.500 (kcal) and dividing the answer with number of days in one year, 365 (with the answer from that calculation actually being 6 lbs weight loss per year...). Anyways, I'm not a big fan of these kind of mathematic predictions on weight loss. To explain what I mean, let me just ask; would I gain a total of 2 lbs in one year if I ate 10 grapes/day (20 kcal) on top of my normal daily food consumption? I think not...I believe the human body balances out minor calorie deficit/surplusis in a dynamic and complex way by fluctuations in physical activity levels and metabolism. Perhaps the article instead should've claimed that there's potential for weight loss with an increase in soda price and that it could result in x-amount of "saved" calories per week, month and year .
But again, I thought some parts in the article were good and hopefully it had a positive effect, promoting health and smart drink/food choices to people in America, this Tuesday in March.

On the same nutrition topic, or at least on the same track - I read another interesting article of how to improve nutrition in lower income groups in USA by adding more support to subsidise fruit and vegetables. Personally, I have no trouble understanding that the diet of low-income Americans is poor. As a student, it hurts everytime I shop for groceries and it definitely takes innovation and a lot of will power to balance a food budget with healthy choices.
CLICK HERE to read the full article, "Subsidized healthy foods cheaper options to improve nutrition".

I also found this picture of Federal Subsidies for Food Production vs. Federal Nutritional Recommendations...Kinda interesting that the pyramids are almost inversely proportional to each other...I admit it do like meat but I also miss all the fresh fruit I consumed every day during my time in Hanoi, Vietnam.


Stay strong!

Henrik

No comments:

Post a Comment